Sunday, March 1, 2015

Medici University in Second Life

I have recently joined Medici University (MU) in Second Life as an artist-in-residence. The opportunity to join the University and make a life for myself there has many upsides. As a lifelong learner, its natural for me to seek out education spaces. As an educator for 20 odd years, the relative comfort of a virtual space makes "a day at the office" a creative endeavor. At Medici University, the titles of "teacher" and "student" have been abolished and everybody is a "learner". So far I have had the opportunity to meet just a few of the learners at MU, and it is truly an exciting endeavor. A combination of inworld and web-based interactions make the community rich, if slightly difficult to wrap one's head around. MU and its students have blogs, Flickr photo accounts, a forum, and other venues for interaction. Having had much experience teaching and learning in the classroom and in and about Second Life, I bring that experience to the table as an artist-in-residence. I have already begun collaboration, experienced some inspired art and talented artists, and continued my own research there. I've been asked to teach classes, but for the moment I find the social interactions enough. Some of the learners at MU seem to be at the early stages of their second lives, others quite comfortable in their avatar skins. I have already made some art at MU, and will continue doing so at least until the University's "lease" runs out in the summer. MU is a Linden Endowment for the Arts (LEA)-granted build. I imagine the community may stay together after that in another space or form. My little plot, which I call my studio is showcasing some of my work, new and old, and I plan to continue rotating things in and out of it, resurrecting some of my older in-world work, and also creating anew. The MU space has 60 or so studio plots, and includes the hilariously named Katyperryopolis dance club, a bar, a coffee house, and interesting builds reflecting quite a variety of interests and skill levels. Medici University on the web can be found at http://mediciuniversity.co.uk/, and you can start your 3D virtual world explorations at Medici University in Second Life here  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LEA23/3/250/47

RMarie Beedit, Mistress of Ceremonies for Medici University Convocation


Photo at Medici University Convocation parade