Sunday, March 14, 2010

Network as Metaphor

For my thesis project, I am sending a series of queries by mail to people in Ukraine. This constitutes a "mail art sculpture". The replies I receive will add to the sculpture. The piece started as an exploration of my childhood drawings which depict virtual landscapes. After some reflection, I came to the realization that the landscapes were a romanticized version of my parents' homeland, Ukraine. Using the mails a machine interface, I adopt an hybrid symbolic language of artistamps to make manifest a virtual world, Andyland. Mapping the imagined onto the real, Geographic Information System (GIS) software is used to visualize the mail art sculpture vector map. Artistamps and a query on the essentials of artistic discourse traverse the vectorial trajectory that initiates a new "Hole in Space" and resulting set of relationships between the artist and individual respondents.

No comments:

Post a Comment